Wednesday, 31 October 2007
Call received around 8.10am (13.45, Ama Dalam time), 31st October. Ed, Sandy and two Sherpas have reached Camp 2 at 6060m and hope to climb too Camp 3 tomorrow. Ewan and John were suffering from very bad sinus colds and have therefore gone back down the mountain. At this point the phone line went down.
Tuesday, 30 October 2007
Call received today, 30th October. Ewan, John, Edward and three Sherpas have arrived safely at Camp 1 with Sandy. They are now at 5800 m. Conditions on the mountain are good. The plan is to aim for Camp 2 tomorrow and stay there for a day. Kambi, having reached base camp decided that it was time to say goodbye and left for home a couple of days ago. Kathy in the meantime remains at base camp. So, all remains well.
Thursday, 25 October 2007
I have received a long-ish phone call from Sandy a few minutes ago (13.10 h, 25th October). All is well!
Ewan, Ed, John, Sandy and Kathy all summitted Island Peak (6189 m) at 8.15a.m. on 23rd October. Kamby, who had still got a cold, did really well and reached 6000m. So, congratulations and well done to all!!!
They left Island Peak base camp on the 24th and headed to Pangboche village which is at the lower altitude of 3930 m. Last night they visited the monastery. The Head Lama, Gishe, performed a blessing (chants, silk prayer scarves)to everyone including the three Sherpas accompanying the group. He also told them that 3pm today was a good day for their "Paja". So, today they have arrived at Ama Dablam base camp and performed their "Paja". Thats probably spelt wrongly and being niaive on the culture of these parts here is an explaination as decribed by our well-known guide, Sandy, with a little amplification from me (the young sister!). Basically, after setting-up camp they erected strings of prayer flags (presumably blessed at the monastery) over the tents (these will slowly disintegrate in the wind speading their prayers across the mountain and beyond). A fire was lit and incense burned. The local lama performed a ceremony, asking the mountain for "permission" to climb and making a safe passage.
Incredible though it is, Sandy and Kathy have met some friends at base camp so I imagine the social scene is good! Conditions on the mountain are apparently good. The plan is to rest for 3-4 days. Although everyone is basically well there are a few colds lingering. Then, the climb begins...
So sounds great! Who else wishes they were there?? I will try and keep the site updated as quickly as I receive the messages. Remember, no news is good news!
Monday, 22 October 2007
Call received at midday Monday 22nd October from Sandy Allan. Everyone is well and recovered from minor ailments. The last 24 hours have been pretty exciting on Island Peak. They had arrived at high camp (approx 5,500 m) on Sunday 21st, pitched their tents and settled for a good nights sleep at this "new" high altitude. Everyone was awakened by extremely high winds and by 2 a.m. the decision was made to go down too base camp. The team left base camp again at 3pm and had just newly arrived at the high camp when the satellite phone call was made. Winds were still high and it is hoped that these will settle down so that a summit attempt can be made tomorrow (Tuesday).
Sunday, 21 October 2007
Today, the team were at Island Peak base camp at 5110m. While at base camp they've been practicing rope work and doing jumaring. For those who don't know what jumaring is, like me, its when you use a gadget on a rope to help you get up, but it doesn't slip down the rope. This helps with getting up fixed ropes on the mountain.
Later on today, after lunch, they will be moving on to Attack Camp...
Tomorrow they're having a very early morning and setting off at 2am to try and reach the summit of Island Peak then heading back to Base Camp for a well earned rest.
Good Luck Chaps.
Friday, 19 October 2007
A phone call was received today (12.43 UK time) from Sandy. He and John were literally on the summit of a "small" peak, Chukingarie (5035m). Kathy had turned back just 50 m below the top. The sun was beginning to set with marvellous views all around. They were keen to leave before dark and planned to stay in the village of Chukum (?spelling) tonight. A happy outing!
Thursday, 18 October 2007
Sunday, 14 October 2007
We walked along to Khumjung and visited the Gompa ( Monestary) there where we were shown around and also saw the famous Yeti head which is kept in glass box with strong padlock and then locked in another big steel locker also suitable padlocked. We also visted the famous Khumjung bakery where they make world famous apple pie!
We returned to Namche for around 5.30 pm and after a well deserved hot chocolate, we all went our separate ways to make phone calls and e-mails to folks back home. We will meet up in an hour or so for dinner. This is our last night in Namche and we leave the internet behind. Everyone is doing fine, no sore heads from altitude which is really great, Sandy and John have colds and Kambiz a running nose but hopefully these will get better before we gain to much high altitude. Today the weather was much better and we did get some views of the high mountains, Everest, Nuptse, Lhotse, Middle Lhotse, Shartse, and of course Ama Dablam, our main climbing objective.
Our plans for tomorrow are to load up the Yaks and head on up the valley to Tenagboche Monastery and camp overnight at Deboche ( 3820m) and then on Tuesday go on to Dingboche ( 4410m) and overnight there for two nights to acclimatise. There after we head up to Chhukhung( 4730m) and then on to Island Peak Base camp forThursday night ( 4970m). We will spend few days there attempting Island Peak (6189m). We hope to make some Sat phone reports which hopfully will be transcribed to this blog!
Saturday, 13 October 2007
Thursday, 11 October 2007
Wednesday, 10 October 2007
we are still in Kathmandu even although we got up really early and got all our luggage to the domestic airport for 7am. Unfortunatly due to lots of fog on the high passes no flights went to Lukla today. We enjoyed a break from the airport ques by having lunch at Mikes Breakfast and by the time we ate we learned that our flight was cancelled.
We have a 9.15am check in for tomorrow so fingers crossed for that.
All the group are doing fine and enjoyed a late afternoon swim and a wounderful dinner at Kilroys in Thamel. Here is hoping everything will go ok for tomorrow.
Tuesday, 9 October 2007
All is Ok, and we all arrived safely in Kathmnadu, Kathy was at the airport with our sherpas to meet us and we transfered to the Hotel Shanker, which is an old palace and a really wonderful calm place to stay. Ed had lost his luggage thanks to Thai airways, but it arrived a day later and really that was the only problem we have had. Sandy had his meeting with the Ministry of Tourisim yesterday and our permits for Island Peak and Ama Dablam have been issued so we are all set to go. Ewan, Ed, John and Kambiz have been on a city tour and enjoyed being guided round some of the local sights. Sandy and Kathy have been busy organising loads and equipment and doing all the necessary admin required to get the final stages of the expedition organised. The plan is to fly to Lukla tomorrow where we load up our yaks and porters and then walk to Namce Bazzar the sherpa capital. There we will get internet again and can up date the blog agin, but that may not be until the weekend..After that we leave the internert and phone lines behind, however Sandy will be making Sat phone calls to Hannah and Eunice back in the west to deliver phone reports which will be put on the blog. I do apologise for the fact that over the last few days no blogs seem to be appearing on the site, but we have been posting them with photos so I assume they are lost somewhere in cyber space.
Anyway, we have an early start tomorrow and hopefully the flights will get in to Lukla, today all flights were cancelled due to fog in Lukla, but today has been really nice in Kathmnadu so hopefully the fog will be gone, and the mountain passes clear and it will be good to fly.
All the expedition group are well and in good spirits, so please remeber that no news is good news, and we will post an update again by the weekend!
Monday, 8 October 2007
Sunday, 7 October 2007
plan is to acclimatise by doing Island Peak first which is just under 6200m, and then to go back down to Penboche then up to the Ama Dablam Base Camp which is around 4,800m. This photo of Ama Dablam was taken about two weeks ago on my last trip with our Evereest Base Camp trekkers. There was quite a lot fof fresh snow just over a week ago but the weather has stabilised a lot since then. More news later, Kathy
Friday, 5 October 2007
Lots of resteraunts have been visited like Pilgrims, Funky Buddha and the famous Rum Doodle, they even got to fill in a big foot and put in on the wall. Rum Doodle also offers a free meal if you have climbed Everest! Get your hiking boots on.
I think they have all just about saturated Thamel now and its time to fly home. Oops better go I'm taking them to the airport in 10 mins
by for now! Kathy